Overseas - marry in new zealand

Congratulations on your commitment to each other and taking a step to celebrate your love and friendship.

Light malcolm copy.jpg

One of the great things about getting married in New Zealand is that it’s so simple. You can choose to get married at the Registry Office or get married by a Celebrant at any location, on any date and at any time agreed. You can get married in New Zealand regardless of whether you live here or overseas.




Legal considerations

There is no restriction and once the formal documentation to confirm the legal validity of your marriage in your home country has been completed your marriage will be recognised in your own country. Be prepared and check with your home country as to what verification will be needed before you come to New Zealand to avoid any difficulties. For same sex couples this will also depend on the laws of your country.

The date, location and name of your Celebrant need to be lsited on your marriage licence application. On your wedding day, both of you and your two witnesses are required by law to sign both copies of the Copy of Particulars for the marriage to be recognised.

If your time in New Zealand is going to be short, you can obtain a licence application (BDM58) from any New Zealand High Commissioner’s Office in a British Commonwealth Country or a consulate of New Zealand in other non-British Commonwealth countries.

The form can be witnessed by a Commonwealth representative and forwarded to New Zealand. There is a fee and once paid and everything is approved your marriage licence is valid for three months from the date approved.

You can find more information on the website www.dia.govt.nz or telephone 0800 225 252 

Feel free to contact me to discuss your wedding plans and ideas as I would love to help you have your wedding in New Zealand.